Sunday, May 30, 2010

Michigan's 71st District Representative Seat: First of Three Candidate Comparison Series

Note: This will be the first of three consecutive Blog Posts looking at three of the four registered Republican candidates for Michigan's 71st District State House Seat. I'm covering this seat specifically because it's the seat of 'my' representative and therefor it matters more to me than others. I will NOT be posting any stories on any of the Democrat candidates due to the fact that I do not like or trust Democrats and 'Rule #1- This is MY BLOG, LOL! Additionally, even though there are actually four registered Republicans running for the 71st Seat I have only invited three of them: Cheryl Haddock, Britt Slocum, and Laurie Raines to offer features on their candidacies. The honest reason for this is that I don't particularly respect or trust the fourth candidate, Deb Shaughnessy. Actions, statements and behavior by her, when she served as Mayor of Charlotte DO NOT, in my opinion lend themselves to the type of person worthy of elected office. If you're offended by my non-inclusion of Deb Shaughnessy, I'll offer my apology and refer back to Rule#1.

My desire in this exercise is to allow my readers a forum to objectively review and compare the backgrounds, beliefs and goals of sincere candidates for an important representative seat. I hope you find these three consecutive articles helpful in making your decision.
-Mark






Leadership We Need
by Cheryl Haddock

Hello, I am Cheryl Hadddock of Grand Ledge, and I am running for Michigan's 71st District State Representative Seat. When Rick Jones entered his final term for State Representative, I had many friends, family members and community leaders approach me about becoming a candidate.

Running for elective office was never a goal of mine. Many people in the community have been very encouraging. They want credible leadership. I’ve had the pleasure of working closely with my good friend, State Representative Rick Jones, for many years going back to the time he was our Sheriff. Rick has been an exemplary leader and has served us well during the last 5 years in the House of Representatives. Now that he is unable to run for re-election because of term limits, I have decided to become a candidate because I want to continue serving our community. I love Michigan and it pains me to see people struggling to find work, struggling to make ends meet, and struggling to take care of their families.

FAMILY FIRST:

I have been happily married for 24 years to Phillip Haddock, who is the Chief Underwriter for a privately owned bank. Phillip and I have two adoptive children, Alexander, age 18, and Francesca, age 13. We are active members of our church and have served in church and civic leadership roles for over 22 years. A Michigan native, I have lived in Eaton County for more than 30 years and I was raised in the automotive industry – specifically automotive dealership operations managed by my father. Additionally, I have spent many years working on our family farm that taught me the values of hard work, honesty and responsibility.

MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN PEOPLE’S LIVES:

I am currently the Executive Director of the Child Abuse Prevention Council of Eaton County. I have developed effective child abuse prevention programs and awareness initiatives that have saved many kids from abuse and neglect. I have a lengthy resume’ of appointments and community service involvement with human services agencies and charities all across the mid-Michigan area. My service includes being a licensed foster parent for 10 years for newborn infants that were being placed for adoption.

Over the last decade, I have successfully run a non-profit business that serves several thousand families in our community every year. Under my leadership, this organization expanded programs and nearly quadrupled income and funding sources. My leadership roles on numerous non-profit and civic boards make me uniquely qualified to lead in Lansing .

A TURNAROUND PLAN:

For seven and a half years, the people of Michigan have heard a lot of talk; I feel we need less political posturing and more results. Most importantly, we need effective leaders serving in the legislature who have the ability and also the credibility to get things done. In Lansing,the Governor and those in her party, play political games that balance the budget on the backs of seniors, children and hard working families. Meanwhile our State continues to hemorrhage jobs. Enough is enough.

My Turnaround Plan is a common sense approach aimed at making the tough but necessary decisions that leaders in Lansing have refused to make:

*MAKE MICHIGAN COMPETITIVE-

I know lower taxes and less burdensome regulations allow businesses to create more jobs and opportunities right here in our community.

-Reform the Michigan Business Tax
-Eliminate burdensome regulations and accelerate the permit process to jumpstart economic development
-Stop picking winners and losers and create a business environment that attracts ALL job providers

*PROTECT TAXPAYERS-

In these tough economic times, Cheryl understands that every dollar in your pocket is important to meeting the needs of your family.

-End the reckless spending
-Stop income tax increases
-Stop gas tax increases
-Stop new taxes on everyday services

*KEEP COMMUNITIES SAFE-
I am committed to stop state government from putting more criminals back on the streets with early releases of violent offenders.

State government must live within its means and focus on core responsibilities. Good ideas and plans on paper won’t change anything without the leadership to deliver results. I know we can make Michigan competitive again. We just need the right leadership and courage to make the right decisions. For more information visit www.CherylHaddock.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment